Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Field: 2,3,4,9,10,11,12

When I was 18 I got a great opportunity. I went on a cruise with my two best friends, Bo and Blake, and their dad, Mark. As you can imagine, we hit the "cruise scene" fairly hard. We'd usually stay out until 3 or 4 in the morning, before retiring to our pitch black stateroom. Seriously, this room was a dream: best sleep I've ever got. Our 'party-hardy' ways soon caught up to us when we slept through the port of Nassau, Bahamas. I hear its great, but I really wouldn't know.
Those of you that know me know that I'm not into the 'party scene', I'd never be mistaken for the 'life of the party.' So what kept us out until the wee hours of the night? It was a combination of 1/4 part looking for Blake and whoever he was currently 'dating', and 3/4 part gambling. See, on a cruise ship, you only have to be 18 to gamble...international waters or something like that. This was my first real experience in gambling. What was my first game of choice? My ugly friend Blackjack, aka 21. Like any 'sinner', I started out dipping my toe in the water and testing it out. Dropping a few bills here and there, winning some and losing some. Before we knew it, we were dropping down Jacksons like they were Washingtons. Before I knew it I was down some serious coin. Meanwhile, Bo was doing considerable better. I decided to hedge my bets and turn it over to Bo. I 'invested' in Bo's game and gave him a mission to win back my losses. Thankfully, over the next few days, Bo won my money back. I ended the trip up about $20. The moral of this little story? Don't gamble? Hardly... The moral of the story is: don't play Blackjack, play craps.Craps is a dice game, played over a large, expansive table with many players. There are literally hundres of different bets on a craps table: one can bet the pass line, the come out line, hard eights, or the field, etc.
Around this same time, Mark brought my attention to a strategy of playing craps that maximizes wins and minimizes losses. I won't get into the nitty gritty details of it, but it has its advantages. Granted, it doesn't guarantee success; but anything rarely does. (Except those late night exercise infomercials... Of course I want abs like that! Who doesn't? Only 3 easy payments of $29.99? BUT WAIT! If I order now I can get it for only 2 easy payments of $29.99?! BUT WAIT!! If I order now you'll also double my order?!?!)I digress... Over the years, I've experimented with this strategy, throwing random dice around and keeping score in my head. A few months ago, I took it up a notch. I created an Excel program that randomly 'rolls' dice and records their results and figures this into 'the strategy' and gives me some outcomes. After thousands and thousands of rolls, 'the strategy' holds true. I'm taking the next step. I'm withdrawing $1024 and booking a flight to Vegas. I'm gonna go toss some spotted cubes and see how they land. Will I go to hell for it? I've been told so...but that's between me and someone else...

6 comments:

  1. Grandma needs a new pair of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Give em a blow." Ok... I fear I've crossed the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chichen shit I invited you to come down to Vegas the week before the wedding and you didn't come! I am going to take you up on yur offer - I may be in Vegas in May for another show - let's paln it then - we have to play down on Freemont street where a 2 pays double and a 12 pays triple! MSN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a pro in gambling. Once I'm 21 we'll have to go to Vegas and win some big money!

    ReplyDelete