Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Parable of the Video Store...

Parable [par-uh-buhl]. noun.
1. a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
2. a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.

I went to the video store to rent a movie. I was in the mood for one of those great movies; something like The Dark Knight, or Legends of the Fall, or The Departed. I had seen all these movies before and enjoyed my time with them. As I searched the NEW RELEASES and DRAMA sections, I found nothing... I decided that rather than wondering aimlessly through the aisles like a loser, I'd ask. I was informed of the tragic news, all the "good" movies had been checked out. Naturally, I asked when they'd be returned. The bundle of happiness and self-motivation that is a video store clerk replied, "In about two years."
Devastated, I began my search again. I'd have to find something to hold me over until then. The only movie available was From Justin to Kelly. (IMDB ranking of 1.8)
I've been watching it for the last year and half, only six months to go until the good movies come back.

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with the parable. Yes, I've heard it before, but I love it even more written down. We should send it to the Departed and The Dark Knight. I think a movie should be added in. You know, the movie that you actually own, so you don't have to rent it. One that's timeless... you can watch it when you can't rent anything else, but you still manage to enjoy that... get back to me with thoughts.

    ReplyDelete